While “clean” and “simple” are the buzzwords for today’s kitchen cabinets, cabinet interiors are becoming more sophisticated than ever, with consumers seeking out accessible storage that also makes the most of every nook and cranny. At the same time, consumers are seeing more custom options at every price point, as well as painted finishes and affordable green options.
Below are some of the hottest trends in kitchen cabinets today:
- Clean lines and elegant simplicity continue to be hot design trends, but while cabinet exteriors continue to follow a “less is more” aesthetic, interiors are becoming more important. As such, there’s a growing focus on storage systems that make cabinet contents more accessible while maximizing space.
- To further maximize space, designers are using toe kick drawers, and designing in cabinets to ceiling height to get more storage, as well as using taller wall cabinets or stacked wall cabinets.
- While heavy ornamentation is out of vogue, many consumers still want personal touches, such as subtle curves and toned down ornamentation.
- Rich finishes and custom paint colors are being used to give today’s simple styles a bit more pizzazz. Other hot trends include higher-gloss finishes, dark stains, light paint colors and two-tone projects.
- Consumers are more aware of environmental issues, but many seem willing to invest in green options only if they are cost neutral. “Healthy” is as important as sustainable, and the industry seems to be moving away from products that have high levels of formaldehyde. Bamboo and reconstituted veneer products provide sustainable options for the eco-minded.
- In a more value-oriented society, stock cabinetry is being re-invented with increased offerings, while high-end custom lines are looking to provide lower-cost alternatives to increase market share.